The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Monday, January 13, 2014

.22LR's in AR pattern rifles and rifling twists

This

Using a 22lr adapter for your bug out/fighting gear

Lead me to this

Twist Rates

Which lead me to this

A Look at Bullet Imbalance and Twist

And this

22lr conversion in a 1/7 twist upper. Anyone? - AR15.Com Archive

And a whole host of other articles.  Many of them spouting nothing but pure nonsense and old wives tales.

I'd like to know  how my 1:8 Surplus Ammo and Arms upper would do using the Aquila 60 grain sub-sonic loads if I ever get around to getting a drop in conversion.

I sorta know a ballistics genius, but getting ahold of him may be difficult.  So if any of Y'all wanna chime in while I try to get in touch with him.

Help yourselves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my preference (just a preference) is to use a dedicated 22LR rifle instead of messing up my AR.

I am less concerned with twist rates than with lead fouling. The ammunition used by an AR is universally jacketed to prevent fouling. The hole near the end of the barrel that feeds the gas mechanism is likely to block and is particularly difficult to clean. This will close off the gas pressure gradually and result in more missfeeds and failures to eject. A dedicated 22LR, even in the AR pattern, is dirt cheap, so there is no real savings of getting a kit and swapping parts.

--HAle

Mark/GreyLocke said...

My problem is that a dedicated upper on my budget at least is simply an extravagance I cannot afford. I have 7 kids, with 1 in college and I am on an extremely limited budget. It took me 6 months just to get all the pieces to put together my Franken-15. It's taken me 9 months to get 80% of the parts for my other two rifles. So for me a dedicated upper is something that I just can't justify in the budget.

Hence my question.