The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A new addition to the firearms cabinet - Farmers Guns



The top one. I added the bottom one a few months back I just haven't posted it. There on the wall over my bed is what is commonly called the farmers collection. It usually consists of a single shot 12 or 20 gauge shotgun and a .22 rifle. The only thing I need to add to this would be either an H&R or Iver Johnson 9 shot .22 double action revolver.

Now to describe the firearms in question. The top is a New England Firearms single shot break open 12 gauge with a 2 and 3/4 inch chamber and modified choke. You can find these weapons in varying conditions and prices ranging from poor to excellent condition and priced anywhere from $40.00 to $175.00. I got this one at the local pawn shop after some negotiation for $90.00.

The .22 pump underneath it is the Sears model of the Savage Model 29A take down. It fires .22 shorts, longs and long rifle, it holds 14 .22 long rifle or 24 .22 shorts. I haven't found any .22 longs here locally yet to see how many it will hold.


These two firearms with the previously mentioned H&R or IJ 9 shot revolver, were the most common firearms found in a farmers gun rack. They would be used for everything from hunting rabbits and killing hogs for slaughter, to deer and varmint hunting. As a kid on my uncle's farm he had an old H&R Topper in 12 gauge and an old Stevens .22 single shot bolt action rifle on the rack, with an Iver Johnson 9 shot .22 revolver. Most houses in the area had almost the same weapons with just a few differences, a few had side by side 12 or 20 gauge shotguns but all of them had a shotgun, .22 rifle and a .22 handgun.

Now I do have a Heritage Arms .22 Single Action revolver, but I still want an old 9 shot double action .22 revolver just like my uncle had.

So if you have one of the old H&R or IJ 9 Shot .22 revolvers and don't mind haggling and horse trading my e-mail is over on the right.

Mark

No comments: