The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I am awaiting the Brown truck of happiness

to deliver to me a package for my perusal and testing. The package will contain 1 50 round box of Fiochi .45 ACP 230grain Full Metal Jacket. It will be tested by me and a couple of my kids, and If I can get a hold of him a friend with the local Sheriffs Office. I already bought a box of my regular Winchester White Box which is my normal shooting load to test against the Fiochi. I am still figuring what empirical test that would show a clear result of testing the ammunition.

The first test I normally do is the hydrostatic test. Where a round if fired into an opened aluminum can filled with water to guage the effectiveness of how well the round transfer the shock to the container. Followed up by shooting into a filled but sealed 1 liter bottle, 2 liter bottle and 3 liter bottle. And while it is fun to shoot the bottles in also shows how the shock is transferred by the amount of damage done to the bottles. Then using more filled 3 liter bottles, the penetration is tested, 2, 3 liter bottles filled with water is roughly equal to 1, 1 gallon jug allowing for the difference in the materials. So for good penetration the round must penetrate 4 3 liter bottles to reach the FBI Mandated 12 inches of penetration. I know the Winchester Whitebox can do it. Hopefully later this week the ammo comes in and we can test it against the Winchester ammo.

For the FTC Disclaimer: LuckyGunner.Com is providing 1 box of 50 rounds of .45ACP ammunition for this test. The Winchester Whitebox ammunition I purchased myself for my own use.

No comments: