The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

An interesting "What if..." Plane design





I found this originally on Facebook, but after I did a little searching I found a page in Russian.  I link to the Google Translate Version of it below.


"In 1976 OSKB MAI-C was designed national economic light multipurpose aircraft "Elf" with a four-stroke air-cooled engine "Nelson" with capacity of 48 hp The device was made on a "nizkoplan" with a pusher propeller. I had a wingspan of 5.86 meters, takeoff weight of 330 kg. All-metal construction with longitudinal ribbed trim on the wing, tail and fuselage tail boom. "Elf" was a non-retractable trehstochnoe chassis with nose wheel and main stand spring type made of profiled titanium strip. The airframe was a lot of interesting discoveries and successful engineering solutions. several inventor's certificates obtained on the structural elements.

The main modification of the aircraft "Elf" - its manned version - had a streamlined cockpit with a large glass area and the right-side door. Behind the cockpit hood was installed in the engine "Nelson" with a two-bladed wooden propeller.

The first flight of the manned version took place in early August 1985, the DOSAAF airport in Borki. Experienced "Elf" Candidate of Technical Sciences Test Pilot E. Frolov. "


I think this would be a perfect little training plane if it could be made as a small 2 seater.  If done right it could fall in the "Ultralight" class for the USA.  Or even a Light Sport aircraft.

I know I would be very interested in one myself.

2 comments:

skybill said...

Hi Mark,
I useta' hang out in So. Cal at the Elsinore and Perris Dropzones where People Skydived, flew Sailplanes and "Ultralight Aircraft!!!!" One night after ops. when everyone was drinkin' Beer and tellin' lies at the "OLD" .."Bomb Shelter" bar at Perris Airport, one of the Ultra light pilots made an interesting comment about "Ultra Light Aircraft Crashes,"........."Yeah," he said,"The last thing that goes thru yer' mind in an Ultra Light Crash....is ...the engine!!!"
B.S.B.D.........
Blue Skies Black Death!!!!!!
III%,
skybill-out
PS.....Gen. Note #1. Note the location of "THE ENGINE" in relation to the Pilot's HEAD!!!!!!
PPS....Back a few cases of "Jack" ago, the year was about 1981 or '82 there about's....I was out at "Perris," Skydivin' up a storm with the Troops and word made it to Manifest that there was an "Ultralight Crash" out S/E of the airport!!!!" They said the "Coronor" was summonsed as there were "Fatalities!!!!!!" Oh well, not much we could do about it at the time. Anyway, when we took off on our next Skydive, from the "Twin Otter A/C" that we were in we could see the "Crash site" and all the Goin's on!! It wasn't till some time later, the Guys from the Ultra light Bunch put up a Plaque in the Bar (Bomb Shelter) in memorial to the two who lost their lives in that crash!!! One of them was "Barry Zelinski!!!!!" I "freaked" as he was my "Instructor" at Cypress College in the "FAA Instrument Pilot Written Exam" Course!!!!!!!! At the Time I thought that he knew more about "Flyin'" than Chuck Yeager, Neal Armstrong, Charles Lindberg, Bob Hoover and Art Shoal ...all combined!!!!!! Shows ta' go ya' be "real careful" when ya' wanna. do consecutive loops in a "Ultra Light Flyin' Wing" AND!!"LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT!!!!!!"
PPPS This story is True... Dates are approximated within a year or two as without consulting my Log Books.... "It has been 'A While.'" And NO this is not a "Twilight Zone" episode!!!!!!!

Mark/GreyLocke said...

I wouldn't want to try to do acrobatics in an Ultralight, because of their requirements there just isn't enough mass or residual strength there to support high G maneuvering. Now I"d like something that I can fold up into a small trailer pull behind my truck, g out to the desert and fly 20-30 feet up at about 40 MPH for about an hour. about the only modification I would do would be to set it up with a vibration free camera mount so I could get great video or pictures. then land it, fold it back up and go home :)

Now if I can get something like that for under $1,000.00 I"d be real happy.