The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Holsters

I have been looking at many different types of holsters lately.  Back when I worked for the Housing authority I carried my Taurus 82, at first in the old St. Louis PD style drop holster with a strap over the backstrap of the revolver.  I later moved to a level two retention holster by Gould and Goodrich, but I started to have problems drawing from it properly at the range when I practiced.  The holster held my firearm too tightly in against my side, and G&G did offer a spacer for that particular holster to push it out away from my body.  I then switched to first a leather, then a nylon pancake holster.  trust me, you don't want to wear a leather holster against your body for a long time in St. Louis summers.  Especially when your uniform is polyester.

I did alright for about 4 years with the nylon pancake holster, until I got into a scuffle with a couple of young men.  After one of them almost got my firearm out of it's holster, I switched to a leather shoulder holster with nylon straps.

I like shoulder holsters for the most part.  I could conceal my firearm better when I was working plainclothes, and by just bringing my arm down I could prevent someone from snatching my weapon.

What i DON'T like about should holsters is that they are NOT designed for people with very large shoulders or chest cavities.  I have a 48 inch chest, but I have to wear a 52 Long suit coat, and have it taken in to get my shoulders to fit.

When someone who has very broad shoulders and a large chest tries to reload, iot is very difficult, to get a speedloader or a magazine out of most hanging mag pouches.

They are either horizontal or vertical.  Neither of those options work for someone built like I am.

what I need is a shoulder holster setup that has the extra mag pouches with the front pointing down in a diagonal orientation.

I modified my shoulder holsters that way, but while I could reach the top speedloader or magazine, the bottom one was pushed to the back.  Making it almost impossible to get without giving myself a cramp from twisting my upper body.

What I would like to get if someone made it this way, is a Nylon/Kydex/Leather combination, that holds the firearm and the magazine pouches diagonally, with 3 magazine pouches and a slot for a flashlight and a small knife.

Also please make it so back piece doesn't rub blisters into the back of my neck like it seems every other type of shoulder holster does.

The only shoulder holster I had that I could adjust the back piece on was my Uncle Mike's that I used when I was hunting.  And that is NOT good for concealed carry.

Andy ideas?

No comments: