The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Monday, February 8, 2010

Ok, Now Jay's post

here made me comment about one of my old cars. A red Saab 900 2 door hatchback with a beige and black interior. Not the Turbo and not the S model. The standard 900 with the standard 8 valve inline 4, 2.0 liter H engine.



It looked a lot like this one except it didn't have a sunroof, and it had stock wheels.

I loved that car. It got premium gas even though money was tight. With premium in the tank though it gave me 32 mpg on the highway versus 25 with regular unleaded. It also ran smoother with premium. It would easily bury the needle which topped out at 120, in 4th gear. It cornered as if it had been glued to the road. The BF Goodrich Touring T/A's were worth the cost in good ride, traction and control. I drove that car over 200 miles with no brakes because the front pads were gone, but the kids and I had to get home. It handled like a dream and with down shifting I saved my rotors. The mechanic asked me several times just how far I had driven and couldn't believe how good the rotors looked.

When the starter went out between paychecks it would pop start in less than 5 feet of rolling. With the rear seat folded down I slept in the back many times. Plus I once took my then 4 kids with3 of their friends to the local pool just by folding down that seat. I hauled 8' 2X4's without having to prop up the hatch, carried 10 80 lb bags of concrete mix without bottoming out the suspension. That car did everything I asked it to and more. However my wife was pregnant with twins, and it was either sell my Saab or my truck, and I used my truck to make money with. So with sad tears, I sold my Saab for 6 times what I paid for it. I had restored the faded and oxidized paint, cleaned up the upholstery, fixed all the little problems and made it a nice looking smooth running car.

The guy I sold it too, impressed with the 120 mph speedometer tried to see just how fast it would go. Well it could and did go fast. But when you run the engine over 8k rpms racing someone in a tricked out mustang, and you're only in 3rd gear bad things happen. My beloved Saab, who I actually named Henrietta, died. She didn't deserve to die that way, after all the good service she gave. But she is gone.

And I want another one just like. Same year, same color, same body style and same engine.

I've been offered 3 Saabs since Henrietta died. But they didn't have what she did. 5 speed manual, 2 doors, hatchback, 2.0 liter 8 valve H Engine, red paint and beige and black interior with stock rims. I don't want a Turbo, I don't want an S with the 16 valve engine I don't want a sunroof or a ground effects kit. I want a plain jane red 1986 Saab 900 2 door hatchback, so I can name her Henrietta.


Mark

No comments: