The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Friday, May 20, 2016

Well I got hacked

through my wireless connection.  I went to sleep last night at 10:40, right after the news.  According to my logs, a "Unique Profile" logged in to my computer at 11:28 pm, not through my internet connection, but through my bluetooth adapter which I had forgotten to unplug after transferring some photos from my phone to my computer.

Whoever it was tried to switch to my account, the Maintenance account, then the Administrator account, but couldn't.  What they could do, was to turn off my CPU and Case fans.  Which they did.  My Processor is FRIED.  The thermal paste is discolored and so is the ZIF socket for the processor.  The processor heatsink is slightly warped now with an indentation of the processor melted into it.  So it got H-O-T.

For someone to hack in through my bluetooth adapter, they had to have been within 100-150 feet of my house, MAXIMUM.  Normal operating range for bluetooth is 7-50 feet.  My adapter has a maximum range of 150 feet according to it's specs.  And that is under perfect conditions.

150 feet is across the street.  My house sits about 65 feet back from the street.

I'm just lucky I had an old Dell Workstation in the closet.

I transferred my hard drive over and ran setup and system repair to get all the proper drivers installed.

Now I just need to dig out that 1TB Video Card.  This 1024X768 VGA with 14MB RAM SUCKS!

No comments: