The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Kel-Tec Sub 2000 Heavy Bolt

I had mentioned before about how my new Kel-Tec Sub2000 had a rather sharp recoil impulse.

It's a 9mm blowback firearm, so of course the recoil is going to be more than my AR-15 which is a DI Gas operated rifle.

My solution was to take a bit of a foam pool noodle and some cable ties to make an ersatz recoil pad for it.

Since then several other shooters have fired my KT S2K, and they ALL report the same thing.  Even with the pool noodle recoil pad, the recoil on the S2k is too sharp to be comfortable for any extended shooting.

So yesterday I went about doing something to calm that recoil impulse some.

I ordered a "Heavy Weight Bolt" for the S2K.  (Kel-Tec revamped their website so you cannot link directly to any particular product.  The bolt is the bottom left on my monitor/screen.  It might be in a different place on yours.  To be exact, the bolt is on the second page of results and is the only full color photo in the results.)  It costs $45.00 plus shipping, my total cost is $55.03.

This should, reduce the recoil impulse, coupled with the pool noodle recoil pad, to make it more enjoyable to shoot.

Oh, and when I say other shooters, I mean my 4 sons, my daughter and her fiance, my friend Ken and his wife Samara, and about 8 total strangers I met at the range and offered to let them shoot my S2k.

EVERYONE has said the same thing about the recoil on this little carbine, using ammo from tula, Wolf, Winchester Whitebox, Federal, every type of ammo.  from 115 gr up to some PMC 147 gr sub-sonic.

The recoil is uncomfortable.

I think a LOT of that is the way the buttpad itself is shaped.  It is angled towards the muzzle at the bottom of the butt, which means the tubular receiver becomes the focal point for all that recoil being delivered into your shoulder.

If Kel-Tec offered a flat replacement buttstock, I would purchase one of those to replace mine.

The too small contact area at the top of the receiver and buttstock mean you have all of that recoils delivered into one small area, about 1.25 inches around, hitting into your shoulder/collar bone area.

HIGHLY uncomfortable if you plan on shooting more than a mag or two.

When the new Heavy Bolt comes in, I'll swap it out for my current bolt and then I"ll head back to the range to test out the recoil impulse between the two.

No comments: