The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

On the Kukri

"The kukri, or khukuri (in the Nepalese pronunciation) is the distinctive curved Nepali knife that is synonymous with the Gurkhas of Nepal. The kukri is respected around the world for its fearful effectiveness as a close combat weapon but it is also an humble multi-purpose tool has been using in centuries in Nepal for everyday tasks. It is the symbolic weapon of the Gurkhas throughout the world, signifying courage and valor in battlefield. It is a part of the regimental weaponry and heraldry of the Nepal Army, the Royal Gurkha Regiment of British Army, and Gurkha Rifles in Indian Army. It is known to many people simply as the ‘Gurkha knife’. Many famous knives of the world - the Bowie knife, stiletto, scimitar, Roman short sword, samurai katana and Filipino bolo - all share a role of great historical significance because of their cutting edge over other weapons, but the most famous of them all is the kukri."

I've done a post on the Kukri, HERE if you are interested.  I own a rather inexpensive Atlanta cutlery copy of a Kukri and a larger Kukri inspired bush knife.  I really need to get a GOOD Kukri with the proper smaller blades.  My own Kukri, is severely beaten up and I"m ashamed to say it, rusty, from being in it's sheath most of the time.

However, when I was physically able to go out, hiking and camping, before I broke my back, my Kukri and my British battle knife took care of 95% of all my hiking and camp chores.  With the exception of cleaning fish/game and cooking, my Kukri and Para knife did it all.  the rest was usually either a SAK, or an Opinel.

No comments: