The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Friday, March 1, 2013

I like my local Law Enforcement Officers, Deputies and Trooper's.

I'm listening to my scanner and one of the Troopers assigned to my county has found a deer that has been struck by a vehicle.  It's back is broken but it is still alive.  It is in town literally 30 yards from the high school and middle school and over a dozen houses.  It is now 0115, that's 1:15 a.m. for those not familiar with the 24 hour clock.  The trooper has moved the deer off the street and has called for animal control, which is off right now so a city PD officer is going out there with a bolt gun to put the deer out of it's misery.

The call just came in, the animal has been dispatched.

Now the city PD uses a free bolt bolt gun.  It uses a blank cartridge to drive the bolt into the animals head/brain to humanely kill it, with the least suffering as possible.


Now the Trooper is asking dispatch to contact TXDOT to come pic up the animal before any children see it.

This whole incident took 8 minutes from the first call by the Trooper to the call for TXDOT.  Knowing TXDOT they will have one of the on call supervisors on scene in the next 30 minutes, and the deer will be picked up and the body properly disposed of.

I know some of the animal lovers will say "Why didn't they take it to the animal hospital?"  If you read above you will note where I wrote that the animals BACK was broken.  It is much more humane to put the animal down, than to let it suffer.  Also the nearest animal hospital is 47 miles away in South Corpus Christi.  Also who would pay for the deers treatment?

Then you add in that every morning I take my daughter to track practice I take my suburban with it huge front grill guard.  If I hit a deer in the S-10 I would have a large repair bill again.  And around the middle school and high school in the mornings I have seen anywhere from 7 to over 15 deer.  All in the road.  Hence my big 4X4 Suburban and it's large front bumper/grill guard.


You could say the city has a deer population problem.

No comments: