The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Monday, January 26, 2015

Aquila .22 LR 60 Grain Sub-sonic in a SIG Sauer 1911-22



While Sprog #4 and I were at the Range yesterday, the gentleman next to us was there firing his SIG 1911-22, and I offered him some of the Aquila Sub-Sonic ammo we were testing, since he had a Semi-Automatic and I was using a SA Revolver and a .22 Pump Rifle.  I explained to him how most Sub-Sonic Ammo wouldn't cycle the action properly.  that wasn't what we experienced.

I need to locate someone local to me that has a suppressed .22 Rifle and a suppressed .22 handgun, to help me do some more tests with this Aquila, after I buy some more.  It's was over $11.00 a box of 50, when I purchased this current supply.

I will tell you out of my Heritage Arms Single Action .22 Revolver, at 25 yards all of the rounds hit 3-4 inches BELOW the center of the target.  And this revolver shoots high with any other ammo.  And 2 of the bullets keyholed.

Out of my Sears copy of a Savage Model 29A, all 14 rounds hit about 2 inches low with no keyholing.

Extraction of the fired shells in the revolver was difficult, requiring more force on the ejector rod, and they weren't fully pushed out, they hung up slightly in the cylinder.  Loading the first round in the Sears had to be done carefully or the round would nose down.  The following rounds loaded without a problem.  I don't know if that is an issue with my tube magazine spring or something particular to the Aquila ammunition.

As I said, I'll need to get more of this ammunition to test that.

What I need, like I stated above is someone with both a suppressed rifle and handgun to do more testing, after I can buy some more as my finances will allow.

I'd LOVE to also get a Decibel meter to really check out this ammunition both suppressed and unsuppressed.  However the meter I had, I sent back as it is unsuitable for what I need it for.

Old NFO was doing some testing himself of some Sub-Sonic ammo.  Click the following link to check out his tests:
Range Time!!!

No comments: