The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Monday, January 26, 2015

First Report - Ammoman.com - Sellier and Bellot 1 1/8th 2.5 inch Tactical Slugs

If you remember in an earlier post I told about how my new Chronograph came with a broken sun shield.  Well I set it up and on my first round of testing the S&B Slugs I shredded the front shield.  So I only got one good reading on the velocity of these slugs.  My Maverick 88 using it's 18.5 inch cylinder bore barrel fired that round at 1061 fps.  And it shredded the front sun shield on my chrono, so I need to contact Battenfeld for a new one

Now on to some pictures.  these are screen grab from my Sony DCR-dvd650 Camera.


First up photo of the group from the 18.5 inch barrel.  My first round, the one that shredded my sun shield, Sprog #4 said hit about 8 inches over the target.  The remaining 4 hit in a line about 5 inches above the point of aim which is the target sticker on the top left.


Next is 5 rounds with a 24 inch rifled barrel.  Total group size is right at 5 inches


This is 5 rounds using a 28 inch barrel with a Carlson's Rifled Choke  Groups size 4.25 inches


This is 5 rounds 28 inch barrel with a modified choke.  Group size 6.75 inches.

I'm going to head back to the range later this week and try these at 50 yards and see if I can possibly improve these groups with the rifled barrel and the rifled choke.

So this is the first part of Range Day.  I will tell you, that my cheek is bruised since the Mav 88 has a folding stock to fit behind the seat of my truck.  I don't think I would have bruised my cheek with a regular stock.  I was surprised how accurate the slugs are, using the center bead on the 28 inch barrel with the Carlson Rifled Choke.  With various reports I've read, a Rifled Choke doesn't offer enough engagement time to put proper spin stabilization on a slug.  Now these are Brenneke style slugs, so that may be the deciding factor as compared to Foster Style.

I'll dig out a few more boxes of Remington Slugger Slugs to compare.

All of the S&B Tactical Slugs were provided to me by Ammoman.com.  That link goes to their listing of these slugs.  They're $7.00 per box of 10 currently.  If you get some, please let them know you heard about them from me.  That way they'll keep sending me more interesting ammo to test  I've still got over 50 rounds of this, so I will be doing more testing with these.

Thank you to Travis B for the loan of the 24 inch Rifled Barrel.

You can see the first test of these slugs for penetration in water, as they compared to the Remington Slugger at the following link: Remember that Ammo I was given to test

Next test from Range Day is the Aquila 60 grain Sub-Sonic .22 LR rounds.

Also does anyone know where I can get my Century Arms. C91 which is a HK91 copy, re-barreled?  It has a shot out 18 inch barrel and I want to replace it with a 20 inch target barrel.  I bought this several years ago and have had nothing but issues with it and Century has refused to honor their warranty on it.  PTR Industries has said they only work on their own rifles, so I'm kinda stuck now.


EDITED TO ADD: Video of the test.



No comments: