The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Monday, June 29, 2015

CarniK Con - Some Daewoos



Actually I've handled both the DP51/K5 and the K2 back when they were still being imported into the US.

Hesse (Hack) actually made a cheap clone of the K2 after the '86 Assault Weapons Ban with a non-folding thumb-hole stock back in the early 90's which wasn't that bad if you got a good one. 

The Hesse version had a stock that had a little longer length of pull, which made it shoulder easier for me at least, (But my personal L.O.P. is almost 18 inches), and the Daewoo sights were much smoother than the Hesse copy.  They didn't have a gritty feeling when adjusted while the Hesse felt like someone hadn't bothered to fit the parts properly.  I wasn't able to shoot a lot of rounds out of the Hesse, only 2 mags, however the shop  who was selling the Hesse told me they had gone through the rifle and did some re-work on it to ensure it's operation.

The Original Daewoo K2 I fired, didn't have any issues right out of the box.  Other than a quick field strip and lube, nothing was done on it before I was able to put a 90 round drum and 6 - 30 round mags through it.  I only had 2 FTF's and those were both the first two rounds from the 90 round Ram-Line Drum.  Every round after that fed, fired and ejected properly.

On the DP51/K5, I was only able to put 3 - 10 round magazines through it.  I fired a 9mm  one and I really liked it.  I liked the Tri-Action, which was really smooth, and the pistol put all the round inside the 8 ring at 10 yards.

Would I buy either of them?  Yes, if they were priced affordably and I could get spare parts for them, I would buy either of them.

No comments: