The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Finally got some range time today.

Unfortunately I was only able to get about an hour and ten minutes worth of actual shooting and video.

Guns I took to shoot.

Kel-Tec P-32
FEG AP765
Heritage Arm .22 LR/.22 Mag Single Action
Norinco 1911A1 Government Model .45ACP with a Brand New SIG Sauer 1911 .22LR conversion kit
Charter Arms/Henry .22 LR AR-7
Chiappa  .22 LR Little Badger
Norinco (CAI) PW87 12ga. Lever Action
Mossberg 185 20 ga. Bolt Action

Guns I actually GOT to shoot.

Kel-Tec P-32
FEG AP765
Norinco PW87 Lever Action
Mossberg 185

I TRIED to use the SIG Sauer .22 LR Conversion, BUUUUUT, BUUUUUT there was a slight issue.

The SIG Sauer 1911 .22 LR Conversion is for the SIG Sauer 1911A! pistol which is a clone of the Series 80 Colt 1911A1.  Meaning my Stock Norinco Government Model will NOT activate the Firing Pin Block/Plunger.  So it will NOT work on my Norinco.  YET.



I will be REMOVING the Firing Pin Block/Plunger from my Conversion and I will try it again.  If I have the time, I will try to do it tomorrow.  If anyone knows of a small rubber or silicone post to put in the hole the FP block/Plunger is in, please leave me a link in the comment section.

I also had the chance to try out my mom's Kel-Tec P-32.  I bought it for her as a combination Mothers Day and Birthday present.  I only had one small bobble with it and it seems to be magazine related with 2 FTF's, both from the same Mec-Gar 10 Round Extended Magazine.

I then pulled out my normal carry piece, my FEG AP765 to compare the two.  For me personally, I prefer my FEG.  The Kel-Tec has a Looooooong, HEAVY trigger pull every time you pull the trigger.  My FEG does have a long and heavy pull on the first round then it is a short single action pull until slide lock.  My trigger finger and my sons trigger finger are both sore and my son actually has a small blister on his from firing the Kel-Tec.  The blister is on the front bottom of his finger meaning his finger is rubbing the front inside edge of the trigger guard under recoil.  The rubbing is less noticeable with the extended 10 round magazine versus the stock 7 round magazine.  I replaced the baseplates of both of the 7 round magazines with the small grip extension baseplates I got from Midway, as even my mom's small hands had problems holding on to the pistol properly.  When I ordered the Kel-Tec from Buds Gun Shop, it only came with one 7 round magazine so I ordered an extra 7 round and two 10 round mags from Midway at the same time I ordered the grip extensions.  For mom, who is used to the long heavy trigger pull of her Taurus 82 .38 Special, the Kel-Tec should be good once she gets some practice with it.  Me personally, I'll stick with my FEG or my Charter Arms Undercover.  But then again, my hands are easily twice the size of my mom's.

I then brought out my new to me Mossberg 185 20 ga. Bolt Action Shotgun.  I haven't shot a bolt action shotgun in a Looooooonnnnnnnggggggggg time.  And while I enjoyed shooting the Mossberg, it wasn't very nice to my son.  The recoil is a little stout using 7/8th oz. 7.5 Bird and Squirrel loads, and using 7/8 oz slugs, well my son did NOT really enjoy that.  I've got it on video which I'll post later.  One of the most unusual things about the Mossberg 185 is the use of an External Choke Tube.  I'm not sure which one my Mossberg has but it appears to be a Full.  I plan on getting a Modified and an Improved Cylinder tube for it plus the proper wrench.  This little shotgun is quite similar to my old H&R 349 Bolt Action 12 ga. in handling but I really like the fact that this uses a box magazine versus the small tube mag of the H&R.

Next up was a brand new and new to me me as the very first owner Century Arms PW87.  Which means Norinco PW87.  A modern reproduction of the Winchester 1887, which has been modified for use with 2.75 inch shells versus the 2.5 inch shells of the original.  My son Mitchell and I were only able to shoot some #7.5 through it and not the Buckshot I had planned on because the range was getting ready to close, but it fed and fired properly, but I will say I'm going to look for a slip on recoil pad.  The L.O.P. is a leeetle short for me and it does like to kick a bit.  I got this one from J&G Sales, back when they were on sale for $279.00.  Mitchell even tried it left handed as he actually is a southpaw.  But I could only get him to fire 3 shells.

Then it was time to break it all down and load up the truck.

I'm hoping I can get more range time this week.  Especially after I remove the FP Block/Plunger from the SIG Sauer conversion for my 1911A1.

No comments: