The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Something weird is going on in the Gulf

I'm hearing more and more radio traffic on channels 16, 22A, 68 and 72.  I'm hearing a LOT of spanish and some slavic language that I'm not familiar with.  I know it isn't russian, and from the accents I'm hearing it's NOT a native speaker of spanish, and I think the person speaking the slavic language is an american from the accent.

11 times in the last 2 days though, I've heard the coast guard come on the radio and tell them to speak english and to move off of channel 16 and off of channel 22A.  I've heard them give the notice in both english and in spanish.

I'm also picking up a LOT of digital traffic on channel 70, where before I heard almost none.

The weird thing is I'm hearing more from the Port Aransas CG Station, than I am the Corpus Christi CG Station.

I might hear the Port A station maybe once or twice in a month.

In the last 2 days I've heard them over a dozen times, and the Corpus Christi station I'm really only hearing the hourly broadcast.

I am thinking part of it is that Spring Break has started, and it is busy.

So maybe I'm hearing a bunch of young punks messing around on the radio on daddy's boat or a rented boat, but I'm not hearing what I heard last year with idiots playing music over the frequencies, and it's happening during the daytime.

And I just heard someone with a DISTINCT Mississippi accent talking to someone with distinct Alabama accent about the river and Victoria.  So some of this is river traffic.  And now I'm hearing a LOT of digital traffic.

This is going to drive me nuts.

ETA: And now there is a missing 19 foot power boat that evidently lost their engine.  They have no radio and just BARELY were able to send a text message on a cell phone.

No comments: