The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Firearms Manufacturers, I have a question and favor to ask of you.

First the question.

Is it really hard to manufacture decent, good quality, inexpensive revolvers these days?

Sure most everyone is buying and carrying semi-automatics these days. But I'm an old revolver guy. I LIKE my revolvers. I like that they force me to take my time, maintain proper grip and sight alignment to hit the target. Almost anyone can take a semi-automatic and blast away at a target and usually can expect to get some rounds on target. It take concentration and time to do the same with revolver. And I find that relaxing.

Plus many of the larger, harder hitting caliber I prefer aren't available in a semi with a price tag that is affordable for most people. Especially in this economy.

For years I carried a Satin Nickle Taurus Model 82 in .38 Special with Pachmayr Gripper Grips for my EDC firearm. I just recently switched to my FEG AP765. Not because of problems with my Taurus, which I have put several thousands of rounds through without any problems, but because of my continuing health problems. One of which is arthritis, plus the FEG loaded is almost half the weight of the my Taurus unloaded. I have never felt under gunned with my Taurus or my FEG as I know the largest issue is always going to be shot placement. Plus if I ever find myself in a situation I need 20+ rounds of ammo, I've screwed up somewhere.

Now on to the favor.

For years, I have wanted to get an good inexpensive 3" round butt .357 magnum revolver that uses the transfer bar instead of a hammer nose. The problem is I can never find a good quality one for a price I could afford. I don't want a "Cheap" revolver, I want an inexpensive one.

Rossi has come out with one that is just over $300.00, which is not a bad price. However Rossi revolvers, have a very bad quality issue, which seems to have gotten worse since Taurus bought them out. Yes I have several Taurus revolvers, however mine are OLD Taurus revolvers, made before their quality went downhill. And Tauruses warranty and customer service still leaves a LOT to be desired.

And I do NOT want to buy an Arminus, RG, or other "cheap" revolver.

I'd love to get a S&W Model 13-3 like the old FBI revolvers if they had a transfer bar setup, or a Ruger GP-100 if I could find one with a 3" barrel and the round butt grips.

So why is it, there are no inexpensive, good quality, high power revolvers being made today?

1 comment:

MauserMedic said...

I would wager it has to do with plastic frames being widely accepted in the semi-auto field, but rare in the revolver community. I like both, as long as they're made of steel, but I notice it's a rarity to see someone under forty with a revolver at the local range. Sad to say, I think revolvers are heading the way of wood-stocked bolt guns; there will always be a market, but it'll be a niche.