The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Monday, February 2, 2015

Cameras

I went out earlier and tested a mount I made for my 808 keychain camera.  The mount is a plexiglass picture frame that I cut a piece out of, and used my heatgun to slightly melt part of it so I could bend it into a shelf for the camera to sit on.  I then put a little bit of velcro on the shelf to mate with the velcro I have on the camera itself.  My first test was the drive into town, but I hit the wrong button and that video didn't save properly.  This is my second test.



If the video doesn't load, YouTube has been giving me a fit when it "Processes" my videos.  All of my videos look just fine on my computer, but many of them look like there is a problem with my camera after they are done "Processing" them. (I just checked, YouTube has been "Processing" my video for over 40 minutes now and it's just up to 2%.  It was ONLY 84 mb when I uploaded it folks.  It cannot be that hard to process an .AVI file)

After 4 hours I decided to upload the video again.  This time it went through.



The first video still shows it's "Processing", if YouTube ever gets itself firing on all 8 cylinders maybe it will shows the first upload.  I'll leave it up just in case.  If you are reading this and you can or cannot see the first video towards the top, please leve me a message.  If you can see it, please leave a message with what time it is. 

As you can see, I either have to remelt the plastic to lower the line of sight or I have to consciously lower my head.

In the video you can see the SJ4000 camera I bought in and out of it's protective case.  I plan on trying to get some video with it in the next few days to see the type of quality it gives me.  If the quality is good enough, you'll be seeing a lot more videos here on the blog.


Some pics of the mount I made for the 808 camera.

My donor picture frame.  I got 10 of these for a dollar at the consignment store.

You can see how I marked out my pattern then used a cutting wheel on my flexshaft.

I then used my heat gun to bend the long side up and put velcro on it.

You can see I left room for my glasses hinge to fit.

My glasses temple piece fits snugly in the top fold.

My 808 Keychain camera

The large hole is the camera lens, the small hole to the left is the microphone.
ACK!  The calluses on my hand show up really good with the Nikon.  I need to start using moisturizing lotion.  (And no jokes about lotion and/or puppets please)

The rear button is the power button, the front takes a picture for a short press or video for a long press.

The camera velcroed to the mount.

Front view.

The shelf is angled upward slightly to allow for the curvature of my face.
ACK! Once again.  I've had these calluses on my hands, mostly my thumb and the ridge of my index finger of both hands since I started working on cars.  And NOT from what you dirty minded individuals are thinking.  At the last shop I worked at, I was the only person who could remove a diesel oil filter by hand without a filter strap or a band wrench.  I usually crushed them in the process, but years of cuts, nicks, scrapes and getting hot motor oil, transmission fluid, anti-freeze and other stuff gives me sort of permanent calluses on my hands.  I keep using a file to file them off, they keep coming back.

And there is my mount that cost me less than 10 cents and just a little bit of time.

No comments: