The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Future Warrior - Google Glass for the military

"Google Glass-esque headgear could soon become the newest piece of standard-issue equipment for U.S. soldiers, and give them the ability to digitally track friendly and enemy locations, display 3D maps of battlefields, and watch live video from drones — all in real-time."



 I have actually been theorizing about an open source Land Warrior/Google Glass.  Don't believe me?

Here is the post I wrote about it in: Jennifer posted about

That was Waaaay back in 2012.  Although I had been thinking about it as far as 2009. Why can't something such as and android tablet, or RasPi be used to make a open source version?

I am actually trying to work out a system using an old Android tablet my kids broke the screen on and a Rascal GLX with one of my 2m HT's to build a portable digital communication system so you can use it for APRS or Packet/Voice comms.  Since the tablet already has a built in camera why couldn't the whole thing be modded over to an open source version of google glass?

The system I have been thinking on would have the camera and the eye piece in a band that wraps around an existing military helmet, with a data cable that goes from the camera/eyepiece to a hacked android tablet/RasPi with a small keypad/touchpad and then to a multiband HT radio and wireless networking dongle, such as wireless N to network individual soldiers.  Using the multiand HT to have comms on VHF/UHF/EHF.

My HT can just on standby run for 34-40 hours depending on how much traffic comes in, with lots of transmitting the battery lasts over 12 hours.  The tablet and the RasPi 5.5 Volts and a small 2 lbs 12 volt battery such as is used in an UPS can run the computer part and the camera/eye piece for over 24 hours easily.  There is work being done of flexible battery packs that could be lighter and easier for troops to carry and recharge/swap out.

So any of my readers who have a technical bent want to try to help out?

I have some hardware already but don't have the technical know how to put it all together.

No comments: