The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Reminds me of the Q2-200

Let’s Restart Production of Eagle 150B



QAC  Quickie Q2

Which is actually a plane I've dreamed of building for myself, for years.  However I would use the 1700CC VW Engine instead of the Continental 0-200 Engine.  I can work on a VW engine myself.

QAC Q2 Quikie photo Wikipedia Commons
 There is also a tricycle gear version of the Quickie

TriQ Quickie Photo Wikipedia Commons
And an updated Tricycle version known as the Viking Dragonfly

Vivking Dragonfly MKIII Photo Airliners.net
 But I like the Viking Dragonfly MKII much better

Viking Dragofly MKII Photo flyinggeek.blogspot.com
The MKII is more of a style I would prefer.  The ability to take off and land on rougher airfields with modifying the landing gear is much more my style.  I also like the fact that the Quickie design can get some very excellent mileage per fuel load.

Many years ago on a blog that is no longer around a gentleman flew his Q2 Quickie with a VW engine from the tip of Florida to South Carolina then across the US to San Diego California.  He did it on less than 75 gallons of regular gasoline that you put in your car and it took him 3 days flying from sun up to sundown and sleeping under his Quickie's wing in a sleeping bag at night.

Sam Hoskins also flew his Quickie cross contry.  You can read about his flight at the link below.

Diary of a one day flight across the USA

You will note Sam uses the O-200 engine which has more power than the first gentleman I wrote about.  That gentleman just used a 1600 CC VW Beetle Engine in his Q2.

Out at the airport over in Aransas Pass there used be a Q2 minus it's engine and prop, just nosed over on it's nose advertising for flight instruction.

So as you see I've had this thirst for flying for awhile.  Actually since I was a teenager and I met some high school kids, who as a part of their curriculum at their school learned to fly a Cessna 152 and a Piper Super Cub. I wish my high school offered that as part of the curriculum.


No comments: