The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Evidently someone doesn't like me.


 I got drive by downloaded earlier evidently.  That is where while you are viewing a site a part of the site is downloading into your computer probably through a flash ad or a javascript script.  I was doing research on an issue I have posted on a couple of times before when my system went BSOD and kicked me out.  I was like Ok....

I rebooted and used my Dual Boot to find out what the heck happened.


 Someone or something tried to activate my camera and it caused their program to mess up.  And then that caused is what caused my BSOD.  Now if the program messing with my system had just left my camera alone it would have succeeded a lot better in what they were trying to do.  But what it DID do was pretty bad.

While I research a certain thing, I have to plug in my backup drive to shadow all my research.  This allowed something to get into BOTH of my drives and delete a LOT of the stuff I have researched..  It also scragged or tried to scrag my OS and all of my other files.



Well they didn't really succeed.because of other software I have on my system.  However I DID lose about 4 months of research, which included video's which are no longer available on youtube, webpages that no longer exist and the Wayback Machine at Archive.org doesn't have copies of.

That doesn't really bother me.  What DOES Bother me is they completely wiped out my book directory which had over 800 books in various formats, .TXT, .RTF, .DOC, .PDF and .HTML.  Those were book I have downloaded over the last 12 years, a lot of science fiction and military history, which I enjoyed reading.  And now they and a couple other of my directories are completely gone.

So even MY somewhat paranoid security settings can be gotten through just like Sir Knight's at the top of this post.

No comments: