The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Monday, December 1, 2014

Harlow - Teresa Straley - Tommy Thayer



Many years ago I picked up a CD, this was one of the first CD's I have bought as I was given a portable CD player.  Up until then I still mostly listened to albums and cassette tapes.

I heard That Voice the one in the video I posted above.  That voice belongs to Teresa Straley.  A woman who can sing a gentle love ballad, or belt out a hard rockin song that ranged multiple octaves.

This voice entranced and captivated me, and that CD soon became my favorite.  My two oldest daughters were able to sing probably what I consider the best song on the album, Pictures, by heart.



Pictures became and is to this day one of my favorite songs.  Tommy Thayer's guitar work along with Teresa's own guitar work, her vocals, bring me joy.  When she Screams out her defiance against a former lover, telling him to "Tear up all your pictures" resonated with me.  Through the troubles of my own life.



Chain Reaction once again showcases Teresa's vocal talents.  At a time when many female vocalists were limited in their range, Teresa's power and range amazed me.  From the lows to the highs and the layering, her voice hit me with every song.  Tommy showed more and more of what lead him to being recruited to replace Ace Frehley with Kiss.



For a person going through self image and relationship problems, Empty became an anthem to me.  Leading me to look around and try to change what was going on with my life that left me unsatisfied.  And Tommy's solo sure got my blood pumping.




A rocking bluesy song that I have always enjoyed listening to, and the hook always brings me back into the song.



Silence, written in part for the aftermath of the PanAm bombing over Lockerbie Scotland.  This is one of the two songs Teresa wrote about it.  The next one, Beyond Control,more about the actual bombing, not the aftermath.



Beyond Control.

Forgotten Memory, Forgotten Face
Just trying to get back home
You were at the wrong time, in the wrong place
Bomb waiting to explode

I'll let you listen to the lyrics yourself.

Harlow
Year: 1990

Members:
Teresa Straley-Vocals, Additional Guitars, Bass, Keyboards
Pat Regan-Keyboards
Tommy Thayer-Guitars
Todd Jensen-Bass
Steven Klong-Drums
Brian Jennings-Additional Guitars
Xavier Muriel, Marc Nelson-Additional Drums
Produced by Pat Regan & Teresa Straley

Teresa has put out a solo album I STILL haven't been able to find on CD.  Although I'll keep looking to hear a voice like hers.



This is from her 1982 Album Never Enough



From the same Album



She has also lent her voice talents to Hollywood.  This song Sleep Baby Sleep she performed for the movie Sleepstalker

All I know, is that Ms. Straley's voice is powerful, haunting and ephemeral.  Her range and clarity is what I think music today is missing.

No comments: