The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Sunday, March 8, 2015

KTD Drive Update

I've had several people ho have sent me blank USB Drives to burn them a KTD Drive.  Some have sent me a disk to copy the programs, so they can clone their KTD drives for others.

I ran into a problem.  The program I used to use to make ISO's of the drives doesn't support the root files system properly so the drives are not bootable properly.

There is a way around that though.

I'm copying the Adriane Knoppix ISO and Unetbootin with instructions on how to make bootable copies into the Burn Directory on the KTD Drive itself.

Those people who sent me a blank CD will get their CD's back, and the Burn dircetory on their KTD Drive.

Basically Copy the Burn and Preparedness Directories from your KTD drive to your hard drive.  It will take about 24 GB total.

To make a KTD Drive, plug a FORMATTED, full format NOT a Quick Formatted USB Thumb Drive into your USB port.

Then double-click on Unetbootin, on the bottom left where it says Diskimage, click that, then go to the end of that line and click on the browse button, it has the 3 dots like this "..." on it.  Browse to the Burn directory and click on the Adriane Knoppix ISO, then be sure to select the drive letter where the USB Thumb Drive is and click OK to start burning the ISO file to your USB Thumbdrive.

When it is complete Unetbootin will ask if you want to reboot, click no.  Remove the drive from your computer, then shut it down.

Put the USB Drive back in and turn your computer back on and enter setup during the BIOS POST test.

Go to the BOOT section and change your boot order so it boots from the USB drive first.

Save your changes and reboot your computer.

Your computer SHOULD boot from the new drive.  Let it fully boot, do NOT set the permanence on it yet.

Shut your computer down again, remove the drive and boot your computer normally.

Once it is fully booted, plug the drive in and open it through file manager.  Then copy the Preparedness folder into the root directory of the USB Thumb Drive.  It will take several hours to complete.  It doesn't matter how fast your computer is, it is the read/write rate of the drive which is the limiting factor..

If he person you are making the drive for is going to make other KTD Drives, also copy the Burn Directory over as well so they have the ISO of Knoppix and the Unetbootin program to burn it to a USB Drive.

I am on my last bunch of Drives to make, and I should have the last two going out in the morning mail.

If you want to send me a Drive to make one for you, please let me know before hand, so I know to make the trip to town to check the Post Office Box.

For further information please see the linked post:  KTD Drive Limted Time Only

And Yes, I have the stuff to change to oil on my truck, I just need a dry place to do it.  Thank you for the people who already sent me drives and enough to offset my costs for the P.O. Box and gas.

Read that post I linked to above if you like to send me a new still in the package drive to make a KTD Drive for you.  You can send some money with it, but it is NOT required.  It IS appreciated though.  It makes it easier to get things taken care of.

ETA:  the Video of me writing the Knoppix Operating System to a USB Drive and setting up my computer BIOS to boot from the USB Port.

 

No comments: