The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Iraq Veteran 8888 - Top 5 Guns For the New Gun Owner



I don't have a Ruger 10/22  but I do have a Glenfield 60 which is the Marlin 60 and is a very reliable accurate small rifle.  You can find them used for as little as $100.00 if you look around, although most of the used Model 60's will need major cleaning as many people will shoot them until they stop ejecting right, then just spray some WD-40 or gun oil in them, work the action a few times and go back to shooting, instead of properly cleaning them.  I know mine which I paid $150.00 tax included for at a pawn shop needed a LOT of cleaning.  I plan on getting a small 2X scope for it and it should be capable of 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards.  More than accurate enough for 90% of your shooting desires.

The Henry AR-7 is also another good .22 rifle, I used to own one of the old Charter Arms AR-7's, but I had to sell it many years ago to pay some bills, so I finally replaced it with a Henry Arms version.

You will be seeing a post and video or two on the Glenfield and the AR-7 in a month or so.

I own several .22 pistols, although I prefer my Heritage Arms .22 LR/.22 WMR Single Action Revolver.  It's a sweet little shooter, but it does shoot high so that needs to be taken into account.  I also have several .22 conversion for both my 1911 and my AR-15 clone.

About the shotgun, I own a Maverick 88, and while it doesn't have a marine finish, for it's price point it IS a good firearm.  They are available here locally from Academy Sports for under $200.00, they do offer the 18 inch barrel version for the same price, but I personally prefer having a good hunting barrel in addition to the shorter home defense barrel.  On my personal Mav 88 I installed an ATI Folding pistol grip stock, and I looked for several years to find a 20" Ribbed barrel that I installed a Carlson's Rifled Choke Tube.  I feel this gives me the best versatility especially with the ability to use slugs all the way out to 300 yards with the rifled tube and still use shot when I need to.

AR-15 Clones, M Forgeries and many others can be purchased for as little as $450.00 up to several thousand.  You can mix and match uppers, calibers, optics, grips, fore ends, vertical forward grips, slant forward grips, just mix and match.  The AR-15 platform has been called the Barbie Gun by authors, gun writers, and the general firearm community for it versatility, utility and ease of use and modification.

And a Mosin is a good all around rifle, able to take man or beast out to 400+ yards if needed.  You used to be able to buy a Mosin for less than $80.00, nowadays if you can find one for under $250.00 you are doing good.  Ammunition is still easy to find for an affordable price even though you can't find the 880 round cases for under $100.00.

The whole take away from this, is if you are just getting started in firearms, there are a wide variety of firearms available to you.  From a snub nose revolver to high end target rifles, all you have to do is ask around and you will find out what may be right for you.


No comments: