The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

S&W and Taurus Revolver tear down and maintenance



For other Midway Gunsmithing Videos go to the Youtube Page.

I had posted photos of when I tore down the Taurus Model 82 Revolvers I and several family members bought from J&G Sales in an earlier post. Since then I've had several hundred hit from people looking for information on how to disassemble and reassemble the Taurus Model 82.

The above video shows how to disassemble and reassemble the S&W revolver which is basically the same as the Taurus. If you notice the revolver he is using is actually two different revolvers. It switches between a standard S&W with a hammer nose or firing pin on the hammer, to a S&W revolver with a transfer bar safety which is what the Taurus uses.  The Taurus does use a slightly different trigger spring which you can see in my picture below, it is not that hard to remove however.

A revolver with a firing pin or hammer nose on the hammer is a good revolver, however a hard strike to the back of the hammer can fire a round in the cylinder. A revolver with a transfer bar safety, that can't happen. As the trigger must be pulled fully to the rear to raise the transfer bar up where it can be struck by the hammer and "transferring" the force from the hammer to the firing pin.


The red line in the pic above points to the transfer bar safety. It is attached to the trigger, so it cannot raise until the trigger is pulled. You can see with the hammer locked back and the trigger to the rear the bar is raised. Pulling the trigger to release the sear and the hammer will allow the hammer to fall onto the transfer bar and the bar will strike the firing pin, driving it forward through the firing pin hole in the frame to strike the primer of a round in the cylinder.

While many people put down Taurus firearms, I have had very good experiences with them and now own three of them. My first Taurus Model 82 was purchased before Taurus even gave them a model number. It was just called a Satin Nickle Bull Barrel .38 Special in the Davidson's Catalog when I had my ex father in law order it for me at his gun shop. I have put several thousand rounds through it both standard velocity and +P's without any problems.

So while the Taurus may not have the fit and finish of the S&W, I have complete confidence in mine.

No comments: