The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Fire Lapping a Gun Barrel

Since I got my Chinese T-53 from J&G Sales, the bore is very dark.  At my Ex Father in Law's gunstore we lapped barrels of the custom black powder rifles built there is the shop.  We would use a Minie ball of the appropriate caliber, instead of grease we would use lapping compound in the grease grooves, and run 4 Minie Balls of each grit.  We wouldn't fire them though.  We would use the power feed on the lathe to force the Minie balls through the bore.  This was before we cut threads for the breech plug.  It also allowed us to exactly control the feed and the amount of force used to lap the bore.

Now I'm considering lapping the bore of my T-53, but I don't have a latch and I'm also a little impatient.  So I'm going to look for someone who reloads 7.62X54R to load me up  some cartridges based on the following article.


Fire Lapping a Barrel by Roy Seifert

The part down at the bottom, where you just run a bore mop soaked in the lapping compound and a lower power round.  I don't want to ruin the throat of this rifle which I hope to use for Deer hunting next year.

So if you know of anyone who reloads 7.62X54R please ask them to e-mail me.  I'd like to get 20 rounds of lower velocity FMJ's loaded up.

No comments: