The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Chivalry - Thanks to Insty for posting this

"I’m okay with that. I’m also okay with being treated like a lady, and acting like a lady by graciously receiving any chivalry that comes my way. It makes me feel worth the extra thought and attention of another human being. When a man holds the elevator door, or gives up a spot in line at the grocery store when it’s 5 o’clock and I have my kids with me, or says, "Excuse me, ma’am," after an accidental bump, I don’t feel weak and invaluable. If anything, it makes me feel powerful as a woman that I would deserve that little bit of extra respect simply because of my gender."

The original story she refers to is linked  and excerpted below


"Chivalrous behavior is benevolent because it flatters women and leads to their preferential treatment. But it is sexist because it relies on the "gendered premise" that women are weak and in need of protection while men are strong. "Benevolent sexism," Kathleen Connelly and Martin Heesacker of the University of Florida write in the study, "is an ideology that perpetuates gender inequality." They advocate interventions to reduce its prevalence, even though, they found, chivalry is associated with greater life satisfaction and the sense that the world is fair, well-ordered, and a good place."

Give them both a read.

As I always say to ladies as I open a door or step to the side to allow them to go ahead of me either through a door or in a checkout line.

"I was raised to be a Gentleman, I just don't always act like it."

What that means is simple.  Treat me with respect and I will treat you with respect.  Disrespect me, and I will probably treat you with contempt or ignore your existence entirely.

No comments: