The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Fw: This Week In News For Senator Rand Paul - December 21, 2012

Subject: This Week In News For Senator Rand Paul - December 21, 2012

Rand Paul
RAND'S NEWSLETTER UPDATE DECEMBER 21, 2012
Dear Friend
Please allow me to update you on this week's happenings in our nation's capital.
National Defense Authorization Act
Late Tuesday evening, the National Defense Authorization Act for 2013 (NDAA) conference report was released. An amendment I co-sponsored, and introduced by Sens. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah), and which passed with a 67-29 vote on Nov. 29, was designed to guarantee Americans the right to due process and a jury trial. That amendment was removed and now means that the NDAA is in violation of the Fourth and Fifth Amendments of the Constitution.
The idea of throwing American citizens in jail without being charged or given a jury trial goes against every principle this country was founded on. The McCain-led committee decision to strip NDAA of protection against indefinite detention does precisely this.
Prior to the vote, I took to the Senate floor to discuss my objections to the bill. Click HERE or below to watch.
I took an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. It is for this reason that I strongly opposed passage of the McCain-led conference report. The NDAA passed the Senate with a vote of 81-14. Read my entire statement HERE.
The Fiscal Cliff Is About Spending, Not Taxes
The debate over an impending fiscal cliff has focused primarily on taxes and whether or not raising them will address our current crisis. Yet, our economy has gone over the fiscal cliff a long time ago and taxes are not to blame. The real problem is spending. Read my op-ed in its entirety at Investor's Business Daily HERE.
Industrial Hemp Will Aid Kentucky Economy
Prior to World War II, Kentucky led the nation in providing 94 percent of all industrialized hemp. We need to do all we can to bring this profitable crop back into Kentucky. I have co-sponsored legislation in the U.S. Senate that would require the federal government to honor state laws allowing production of industrial hemp and would exclude industrial hemp from the definition of marijuana.
My vision for the farmers and manufacturers of Kentucky is to see us start growing hemp, creating jobs and leading the nation in this industry again. Read my op-ed on the issue in the Kentucky Herald-Leader HERE.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/574934_435771843142291_1663061337_n.jpg
(Sen. Paul at press conference in August with James Comer, Agriculture Commisioner, photo by Gene Linzy)
Commerce of Lexington Luncheon
I spoke at the Commerce Lexington Public Policy luncheon where there were over 250 people in attendance. I talked about what my staff and I are doing around the state to engage local communities. I reminded the attendees that I will continue to fight against any tax increases on take home pay during this fiscal cliff debate. I also applauded Michigan for becoming the newest Right to Work state.
 
(Sen. Rand Paul speaks at the Commerce Lexington Public Policy Luncheon, 12/14/12)
Rep. Tim Scott to Replace Sen. Jim DeMint
I'm looking forward to working with Rep. Tim Scott in the U.S. Senate. He's a fine selection to replace my friend Senator Jim DeMint. Although we lose a great leader in Senator DeMint, Rep. Scott will continue to fight for the principles of limited government and individual freedom. Read my op-ed in The Washington Times HERE.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
I would like to take this opportunity to offer my wishes to you and your families for a wonderful holiday season and a blessed new year.
Media Wrap-Up
This past week, I appeared on CNBC's Closing Bell and FOX News' Your World With Neil Cavuto. I also spoke with several radio stations across the country as well as those in Kentucky, including: Chad Lampe of WKMS and Mandy Connell of WHAS.
Have An Issue Or Concern?
If you would like to talk with one of the field staff about local issues that have a federal component, the Bowling Green office (270-782-8303) can refer you to the right staff member.
Stay in Touch with Sen. Paul's Social Media
You can find updates on what I'm doing by visiting my Senate website, www.paul.senate.gov and you can follow my official Twitter account HERE. You can also subscribe to my YouTube channel HERE. Don't forget to become a fan of my official Facebook page for other timely updates.
Warm Regards,
signature
To unsubscribe from Rand's newsletter, please visit the unsubscribe page

No comments: