The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Fun with epoxies

My clothes washer has a leak.  It's had the leak for a while now, but since my kids do most of the laundry as their chores I didn't know how bad until 2 weeks ago.  I pulled the offending part, the plastic pump, and tried to use J.B. Weldon it but it didn't want to stick to the plastic too well.  Some friends recommended the Loctite Plastic epoxy, so today the boys and I pulled the washer back out again.  Please excuse the condition of the washer, I'm broke and can't afford a good one, so we make do with this $120.00 one we got at the used appliance place.

Where the pump USED to be
 
You can barely see the yellow Loctite Epoxy
 
The pencil points to where the crack in the housing is.
The instructions say it takes 20 minutes to set and 24 hours to cure.  Hopefully it will cure my leak.  I'd just replace the pump, but a new pump cost almost as much as I paid for the washer.

My dream for when my WorkComp case finally settles (It's been 9 years) is to buy a Staber Washing machine, it can run off of my solar setup and the 1500 watt inverter I use without killing my batteries which I'll probably be replacing as well.

But other than doing some cleaning and celebrating my youngests birthday, that's what I'm up to today.

No comments: