The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Something has been niggling at me

Have you seen the commercial for the newest Ford product? The S.H.O. however the voice over guy is calling it SHO. I don't know where he came from, but I'm an old gear head, and it used to be called the S.H.O. for Super High Output. For years the Big Three had special divisions which took the flagship standard and made a High Performance/High Output vehicle or vehicles.

Ford Motor Group had the Taurus S.H.O., Mustang S.H.O., Mercury Marauder, Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, Torino and I'm sure there are others I can't remember.

Chrysler had Mopar, with Vehicles like the Charger T/A, Super Bee, Challenger R/T, Roadrunner, Barracuda, Viper, Prowler and once again I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

GM had the Camaro, Chevelle, The 442, The GTO, Firebird and again I'm sure I'm missing some.

What has happened that even the idea of a high performance has been, pardon my language, bastardized? When did the S.H.O become the SHO? What happened to the Ford Performance Group, FPG? GM? I haven't heard of a real GM Performance vehicle since they gave up the rear wheel drive option. At least Chrysler had the Viper and the Prowler. Our auto manufacturers have been neutered. And at least Ford is starting to regrow it's street cred, but what about Government Motors? What about Chrysler?

I'm going to ask you to post in my comment section or if you have your own blog to write up your stories. If you have a particular vehicle or vehicles that you think exemplifies the Performance Vehicle, write it up if you are writing it on your own blog please post a link over her to me, and I'll edit it in to this post, so readers can link over to read your post.

Mark

No comments: