The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

PSA - Don't Use Ceramic Water Filters for Surface Water!



NOTE: This does NOT include Katadyn style positive pressure filter such as the Katadyn Pocket filter.

Of which I have one.

The Katadyn filters to .02 Micron, whereas many gravity types only filter to 8 or 10 micron.  See the difference?  .02 micron versus 8-10 micron.

Now I have a kit that I use for tap water which is the 2 plastic buckets with a gravity ceramic filter.  I built it for my mom as her water softener puts too much salt in her water and she needs to watch her sodium intake.

I will be giving away one of these kits next month.  I have to make the video first on how to make it.

So Gravity Ceramic Filters ONLY remove bacteria and other stuff but NOT Viruses/Virii.

So DO NOT DEPEND on a Gravity Ceramic Filter to protect you and your family from viruses UNLESS it filters down to .02 microns.  And I don't know of ANY gravity ceramic that does that, only the positive pressure Katadyn Pocket filter.  there might be others, but I have a Katadyn so that's what I recommend.

If you do not have any other type of filter, you will have to still treat the filtered water with either boiling, iodine or bleach.

My back up is bleach.  Specifically Pool Shock bleach.  I'm going to have to find the video about how to use that to post it up.

If you are going to store a powdered bleach yourself, get a 5 gallon bucket with a tight fitting Gamma Seal lid for it.  It is very hygroscopic and the fumes and esters from it will corrode anything metal within 15-20 feet if it is not properly sealed.

ETA: Here is one of the videos about using pool shock to purify water.



With her description.

Published on Dec 12, 2013
Did you know liquid bleach goes bad(as far as water purification) after 6 months? Then, if its stored in high temp areas it lowers that 6 months. How many gallons do you have stored and need to change out for a product with longer shelf life? This pool shock is said to last 3-5 years according to my pool guy in my area. Please, do your own research on this, but its something I wanted to share with you all. Also you will see that I store(with the pool shock) a bottle with a dropper, this is for an accurate dose on drops per gallon of water. I recommend you do the same.
So as soon as I get the email back from the EPA I will do an update on what percentage they call "high test" and let yall know.

Also Backdoor Survival has a good article on using Pool Shock to purify water.

 http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/how-to-use-pool-shock-to-purify-water/

then there is this video.



No comments: