The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Missouri readers

As some of you know I'm originally from St. Louis, Missouri. With summers spent at my aunt and uncles farm by the Missouri/Arkansas Border north of Salem, Arkansas. I also spent several years living in the south east Missouri area, by Poplar Bluff, Lake Wappapello, and Clearwater Lake areas. while checking my sitemeter logs I notice a lot of visitors from Missouri. I also spent many holidays in the Quad Cities Area of Davenport, Iowa. In fact my first real girlfriend lived in Rock Island, Illinois, and my father was born in Moline Illinois. So I have spent most of my formative years in the central Midwest. If you are from these areas and reading my blog, please leave me a comment or drop me an e-mail. I would enjoy adding to my list of friends and would like to talk about the old homes. Now saying that, I will be posting about one of my famous ancestors after I get a few things done. As we have been cleaning out my mothers garage we found my great aunt Berniece's cedar chest and we've found a bunch of old, old, old documents. After I get the camera back, I'll take some pictures and post them here for you. I will offer a little teaser though. My family has an original wanted poster for the person's who killed President Lincoln. It tattered and torn and we just found it lining the bottom drawer of the cedar chest underneath newspapers from the 40's and 50's. If I can get a decent picture I will post it before we have the document framed to protect it.

Mark

2 comments:

Murphy said...

That is so cool!

A thought... maybe check with a nearby universisty history department for suggestions re: protection?


Wow.

Mark said...

We're planning on having it framed with a special treated paper backing. the paper is designed for protecting fragile documents. We have had a few other things framed with this paper, ie: an original map of the plat for the city of Davenport Iowa, also we had some old documents from prior to the civil war which we donated to the Davenport historical society, and others we donated to the Rock Island historical society. Our problem is what do we keep and what do we donate? We want these to be seen but at the same time being proud of our heritage we want to be able to show them off ourselves. Kinda hubris I know but is it wrong to be proud of my ancestors?