The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Reloaders a question

I am looking for one powder which can be used for most if not all of my reloading needs. I don't want to have multiple powders sitting on the shelf. I want one at max two powders to be used for all of my reloading needs.

Now the calibers I will be reloading for:

.38 Special this is the majority caliber with some .357 Magnum

.45 ACP I shoot standard FMJ's with some JHP's from time to time

20 ga.

12 ga.

7.62X39

7.62X51

I know that many people who do a lot of reloading that I cannot use just one or two powders to reload all of these. I want to stock at most 2 powders, but I'd prefer to stock just one. I think it's bad enough I'll have to stock 3 or 4 different types of primers. I want to make this as clutter free as possible.

NOTE: I will be using Lee Loaders for these calibers, not a press. Yes I know a press is affordable, yes I know it would save time. I know all that already. Saying that I will still be using plain jane Lee Loaders. Yes even for the 12 ga and 20 ga I will be using old fashioned loaders and a roll crimper. I am looking for minimal foot print and storage.

UPDATE: Commenter Steve, over at Uncle's says - "I could be misjudging the guy but based on what is in that one post I’d say that he lacks sufficient committment to be making little bombs that will be exploding inches in front of his face. I’m not going to help him blow himself up."

Ummmm, No. I have reloaded .303 British and 12 gauge in the past. the .303 with a Lee Hand Press the 12 ga. with simple hand tools. I want a minimalist reloading setup. That is one of the reasons I intend on using Lee Loaders for each caliber. It's hard to screw things up when you are only loading 1 full cartidge every 2 minutes. I just don't want to have multiple powders taking up room in my limited space. Also I want reduced costs, 1 or 2 powders for all calibers instead of a different types of powder for each. I want to be able to put all of my reloading equipment and supplies in in 1 of my rubbermaid totes so I can take it to the range with me if I want. Lets face it a reloading bench with multiple sets of dies, and powders is hard to move easily. A complete set of Lee Loaders and shotgun loading tools for all of the calibers I shoot, takes up a little less space than a shoe box for a pair of work boots. Add in the powder and primers in separate ammo cans and there is a complete reloading setup which is portable, light weight and easy to use. The ammo cans I use to store the powder(s) and primers weigh more than the rest.

Now from the comments Robb, I don't intend on using hot loads. My kids, and other family members who are not used to shooting will be using these reloads. I want standard velocity if not slightly under standard loadings. As long as they shoot properly within tolerance, accurately and allow the firearms to operate reliably, that is my concern. Jumpthestack and Chaplin Tim Thank you about the Unique, I'll start looking into loads for the pistols and the shotguns using it. Now I just need to find a powder for the rifles.

3 comments:

Chaplain Tim said...

For the pistol and shotgun loads, look at Unique. It can be used for all that you list plus some.
158gr lead bullets for 38Spl- 4.1 to 4.7gr Unique, same bullet in 357Mag- 5.3 to 6.0gr.
45ACP 230gr jacketed-5.7 to 6.5gr Unique. All data from Modern Reloading, 2nd Edition by Richard Lee.
The only data I have for shotguns is form a 40 year old book- you'll have to find your own current info.
The two rifle cartridges that you list can both use BL-C(2)or H335 for a variety of bullet weights.

Tim

Robb Allen said...

I load .45, .40, and 10mm all using Titegroup.

When loading .357, I use BlueDot, but that's because I load them stupidly hot and like the giant fireball BD makes, but Titegroup would also work there.

I will admit that I'm trying other powders now - Alliant #9 & HS-6. Mostly because I now have some on hand and want to see if they make a better shooting experience.

You're going to need to purchase a few cans of powders to find the one you like the most, and there's going to be tradeoffs if you load like I do where you've got slower .45s and faster 10mm's. But it is possible to use pretty much any pistol powder on most calibers.

Jumpthestack said...

I agree with Unique for the handgun/shotgun loads; it's very versatile. I also like it because it's relatively bulky which means it would be harder to accidentally over-charge a round without noticing.

I have no experience with reloading rifles, but you're definitely going to need a separate powder for rifles.