The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Friday, February 27, 2015

Depression Era Cooking

The lady who was the star of these videos, Clara, passed away in November of 2013, but her knwledge is still available on the YouTube page.



The main page listing all of the videos is: Great Depression Cooking

I make a similar dish to her Poor Man's Dinner.  I don't cube my potato's though, I slice them very thin. My Grandmother taught it to me when I was a Wee sprout.  My grandmother was born in 1907 and passed away in 1993 before my oldest daughter was born.  She lived through 2 World Wars, the Stock Market Crash, The Depression and the Dust Bowl.  She knew what not having enough was about, and I think I got part of my mindset for preparedness from her.

She ALWAYS told me to make sure to have enough food to last at least a month and to not waste food either.

No comments: