The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Hickok45 - Maverick 88



I have bought 3 of the Maverick 88 shotguns, One I bought for me, one for my oldest daughter and one for my mom.  Mom didn't like hers so she sold it to my brother.  My daughter and I still have ours.

Like Hickok says it has the cross bolt safety, the fore end CANNOT be easily removed without a drill press, it would be easier to just use a Moss 500 fore end and action bar that to try to replace the fore end.

The Maverick like ALL Mossbergs do need to have a slight tuneup to the extractor/ejector and shell elevator which is easy to do with a few needle files, a sharpie marker and a little bit of time.  I used to tune up a Mossberg in about 5-10 minutes, most of that was reassembling and feed testing.

But once those are smoothed out, the Mossberg and the Maverick feed so smoothly they feel like a completely different firearm.

On my personal Maverick, I have an ATI  folding stock and a 20" ribbed barrel with a Carlson Rifled Choke.  I basically made my own Paradox Gun.  I am trying to find a set of clamp on sights that clamp to the barrel rib to give me some better sighting options than the 2 beads on the rib.

But the Maverick is a pretty good firearm, IF you do a few small modifications to it.  You don't need a folding stock, I need one to fit it behind the seat of my truck.  And I"m probably going to switch mine back to the standard stock as I'll probably be using my suburban more often instead of my S-10.

No comments: