The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Monday, June 27, 2016

Jay Leno's Garage - Jeff Dunham's AMC Gremlins




A friend of mine inherited a 1976 or 1977 Gremlin from his dad, while his older sister inherited their mom's AMC Pacer.  Dave's dad had switched his Gremlin up though.  Taking a Chrysler Slant-6 and putting it under the hood to replace the 196 CID straight 6 that had really bad lifter knock.  Still keeping the 4 speed manual or 4 on the Floor as it was called to differentiate it from the 3 on the Tree that his dad's Ford Pickup had.  I remember when we would ride out to the Meramec River down by Fenton where his parents both worked at the Chrysler Plant.  He had an AM radio with an FM converter and we had 2 box speakers from his house wired up in the back hatch.  We would go down to the river and swim, play on some innertubes and listen to K-SHE 95.  I got my nose broken for the very first time down there, when some girl Dave was chatting up, suddenly had her boyfriend show up and try to beat mine and Dave's heads in.  Dave and I got out of there, but not before I smashed my nose on the shifter diving through the passenger window.  Dave thought it was hilarious.  I had to hide my smashed nose from my parents.  Mom didn't find out about it, but Dad, Dad KNEW the instant I tried to get in the house without being seen.  He came up to my room and he only asked if I needed to go to the hospital and did I get trouble with the police or a girls father.  Once he satisfied that nothing really happened he said he would distract my mother until the swelling went down.

If I ever happen to win a large sum of money, I think I'd like to get a white late 70's model Gremlin for myself.

No comments: