The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Oleg Volk - Un-controllable automatic weapons?



I was browsing through Oleg's past video's and I came on this.  I have fired full-auto weapons.  Both in the Army, and at a Police Department Range up in Missouri.  The ONLY F/A firearm I had a problem firing was a Full Auto Browning Hi Power.  I got about 6 rounds on the target at 20 yards, then the rest went into the berm from a 13 round magazine.  The Hi Power was a standard Hi Power with the exception of the full auto sear.  So I had no forward grip to help maintain control of the muzzle, to allow me to stay on the target.

I will say the one full auto I LOVED shooting, was an original M1928A1 Thompson Sub Machine Gun.  I got to fire 2, 50 round drums and several 25 round stick magazines from it.  It was very heavy but it was so easy to keep on target.  I was able to get 3-7 round bursts all on target every time.

Now, would I like to own a full auto firearm of my own?  Yes, I'd love to own a 7.62X51 Bren gun.  Sadly, the only Bren I've ever fired was in 8mm Mauser and was a semi-auto only, but I was flat out amazed at just how accurate it was.  I was hitting the gong at 300 and 400 yards with every shot. With iron sights.  I'd love to get one in 7.62X51 even if it was only in semi auto.  But I'd love to see what it could do in full auto.

So for someone to say that ONLY the government should have full auto firearms because they are so hard to use is ridiculous.  I was a housing authority security officer, and I hit the range monthly.  And I shot better than the majority of the police officers who ONLY went to the range for their twice yearly qualification. 

I was putting between 50-250 rounds down range every month.  At ranges from 5 to 30 yards.  Most Fully Commissioned Police Officers, were only putting 50 rounds twice a year.  And those 50 rounds were what was used in qualifying.  I qualified 235-245 out of 250 EVERY TIME I went to qualify.  You needed 170 to qualify.  You would be amazed at how many officers could barely get even that.

So the idea that ONLY government agents and troops can use full auto is a farce.

Most "Government" agents can't even hit the target.  Case in Point: NYPD, LAPD, NYPD Again, Australia, Chicago, Louisiana, PennsylvaniaNYPD yet again, Utah, Chicago again, and the list goes on.

I know what part of the problem is.  Many Department budgets just do not have the funds for ammo or salary to get their officers to the range to practice.  Also there are many officers who seem to think that their shiny badge automatically grants them some skill or knowledge that us "mere" civilians lack.  And yet, when us "mere" civilians go to get training, we are considered to be a "Threat", and are put on yet another watchlist.


No comments: