The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Broke my toe but still went to the range yesterday

I was getting all of my stuff together to take two of the boys to the range yesterday, and while looking for my staple gun, I found it.  When it fell off the chair and onto the big toe of my right foot.  And ayup.  It's broke.  My toe, not the stapler.  However, the boys and I still went to the range where we tested some ammo in a few different firearms.

I will say this, the Aguila 60 gr Sub Sonic ammo is still consistently surprising me.  You might remember I had a video where the 60 gr ammo actually fired and cycled a Sig 1911 .22.  When everyone has been saying that it wouldn't do that.  Well, I brought my new to me Beretta 71 and my Tactical Industries .22 Conversion for my New Frontier/Surplus Ammo and Arms  combo AR-15, and the Aguila cycled BOTH the Beretta and the TI conversion. 

That is fired, cycled the action properly and fired again.  This is supposed to be sub-sonic ammo that won't cycle semi-auto firearms.  So either my firearms are broken, Aguila loaded my boxes wrong, or what everyone "Knows" is wrong.  Personally I think there is a fourth reason, in that the ammunition will cycle semi's because the seal the bullets get inside the barrel.  I've noticed there is what appears to be a wax coating on the big 60 gr bullets of the Aguila.  And I think, that is sealing up the lands, is allowing enough pressure to build up to cycle the action.  And still keeping it sub-sonic.  The second surprise is everyone has always told me, that 60 gr bullets wouldn't stabilize properly and would tumble.  Well comparing, Winchester Whitebox 36 gr, CCI 36 gr Mini-Mag's to the Aguila 60 gr Sub-Sonic, other than the Aquila printing about an inch lower at 25 yards than the others, I still got a good group in my AR.  In my Beretta, it printed about 2 inches lower, and the group size was about twice the size of the Winchester and the CCI.  I just spent 40 minutes trying to find the twist rate in the Beretta, but my Google-fu isn't working at the moment.  I do know the twist in my Surplus Ammo and Arms upper is 1:8, and at 25 yards the Aguila gave me a 2.5 inch spread and was right on target while the Winchester and the CCI were a little high with the Winchester giving the tightest group of 1.5 inches.

I can't find my other camera case at the moment, but when I do I'll add in photo's of the targets so you can the spread.

I also tested out a Cugir Draco AK Pistol.  I Like it, however I really need an arm brace for it, it was rather hard to get a good sight picture, especially with the heavy AK trigger..

Now I did have one issue/problem yesterday.  My New Frontier Polymer Lower with polymer FCG, well my hammer had a chunk come out of it, which caused some issues.  New Frontier had issues where the hammer was too wide to use with .22 conversions.  And what am I shooting lately?  a .22 conversion.  So I knocked a divot out of my hammer.  Since N/F had a narrow hammer for the use with .22 conversions but I didn't check the box when I ordered my lower, this is all my fault.

But I have two new hammers ordered already and they should be here in a few days.

My toe is starting to hurt again.

No comments: