The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Friday, November 20, 2015

Want to be an Extra in a movie?

I'm on the e-mail lists of several local Producers/Casting Agents and from time to time I get an e-mail asking if I'm available to be an extra for a local production. As such I got aan e0mail asking me if I would be available last week.

I wasn't, however after exchanging a few e-mails I offered to post up local requests here on my blog.

So, if you are local to the Victoria/Corpus Christi Area a film-maker is looking for Extras in Victoria.

"Thanks, Mark! We are most in need of extras for 2 dates:

November 30: Victoria Country Club. 5:30pm. Dressed in business casual attire. Film is set in 1990 at a Christmas party so dress accordingly. We need a lot of extras! Families included.

December 4: Power Avenue Warehouse. 4pm. Punk rock concert. Dress is jeans and plain t-shirts. Film is set in 1990. We need over 100 extras!"
 
 And for today 11/20/2015 "we do need shoppers at Dollar King in the 2600 N Laurent shopping area on Saturday around noon"
 
If you are interested, you can send an E-mail to Olivia Gray 

Now the only local production I was on, that I was "PAID" for, I was paid $20.00 to sit in my truck for 4 hours in the background of a shot and they gave me lunch of lunchmeat and cheese on wheat bread with a bag of chips and a drink box.  Not all productions, can pay you for your time, nor can they provide you with food or even provide an onsite bathroom/porta potty.

These are things you must keep in mind.  I've gone to many productions where I wasn't paid for my time, however the people were good people and I enjoyed myself just having some good conversation with other extras who came, and I got to see how it works on this side of the camera.

So don't get into this thinking you'll get your "Big Break" or expecting it.  Always try to set aside at least 6-8 hours, bring your own lunch/dinner.  Do NOT bring lots of soda, tea or coffee.  Trust me your bladder will appreciate it.  The production SHOULD have plenty of fresh/bottled water, but some of the smaller ones don't always have the funds, or their production team may not have the experience to remember, so try to bring a case of water of your own.  I usually have 4 or 5, 3-liter soda bottles I cleaned out and filled with fresh water from home in addition to a case of  bottled water, I sometimes wind up sharing with the other extras.  It all depends on the production you working on.
 
A couple  locations I've been on didn't have food, nor any nearby places to eat.  So bring your own just in case.  I usually have a couple of MRE's in my bag.

Bring at least 2 changes of clothes with you that are "different".  Light colored shirt, dark colored shirt and a "Bright" colored shirt.  Same for your pants, jeans, khaki's, slacks and foot wear.  Be sure you have at least 2 types of footwear and that it is "COMFORTABLE" you may be standing for a long time depending on the scenes you are needed for.  The extra clothes means that you might be able to work longer and at another location.  

However saying that DO NOT, DO NOT, bring too much stuff. Or expensive stuff or electronics.  Or ALCOHOL!  Do NOT, DO N-O-T bring alcohol on to the location or set.

There have been cases in the past of pilfering/theft.

All of my stuff that I carried with me fit in a small bookbag/backpack.  The rest I lock in my truck.  The only electronics I bring other than my small point and shoot camera is my cell phone and keep your ringer OFF, don't even set it to vibrate.  Some of the cameras and sound recording equipment can pick up the vibrations of a cell phone and RUIN a shot for the production.  So SILENT means just that SILENT.  I also have a small cell phone charger that take AA batteries and at least 6 extra AA batteries..  Trust me you'll thank me later if you bring one of your own.  Even reading books on my Kindle App on my phone can suck down the battery even though I usually set mine into airplane mode.
 
And no taking video or pictures of the production to share on social media unless you clear it first with whoever is in charge.  I've actually seen a shot ruined by an extra who instead of being an extra was trying to video everything that was going on.  You can't be an extra if you are busy taking photos or recording video.  You WILL be asked to leave and they may ask you to delete your photos or video.  And legally they CAN make you do so.  You are there as an "Extra", you may or may not be getting paid, however you ARE on their set, and are subject to their rules.

Now I am NOT a regular extra.  I've only been on 8 locations/sets.  Like I said above, I've only been "Paid" for one of them.  But from my experience here are the main Do's and Don'ts

DO wear comfortable clothes and shoes.  Bring at least one possibly two changes.
DON'T wear clothes that are impracticable or not in keeping with productions time period.  
 
DO bring plenty of water
DON'T bring sodas, coffee, tea or ALCOHOL.  Soda, Tea, andCoffee is a diuretic which means you have to go pee a lot..And I shouldn't need to explain about the no alcohol.

DO bring a jacket or coat in case you need it.
DON'T bring blankets

DO bring a small battery operated charger for your phone
DON'T bring laptops, or expensive cameras and electronics

DO ask permission before taking any photos or video
DON'T try to document your entire time there on set.

DO bring a lunch and some extra cash
DON'T expect the production to feed you.  Some do, some don't

DO keep everything you DO bring in one small bag or pack
DON'T bring a suit case, a makeup case, and blow dryer, a hair straightener, a curling iron.

One MAJOR IMPORTANT THING.

EVEN IF YOU DO HAVE A CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE, DO NOT BRING A FIREARM/WEAPON ON TO THE SET UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

You can leave it locked in your vehicle but you do NOT bring it on set.  You don't know what the scene is, some directors won't tell you in order to get a "Natural" reaction out of you.  You might find an "Axe" murderer smashing through a window.  It's part of the production.  They don't need you drawing a weapon and opening fire.

No comments: