The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Air Gap - Computer Security

"Hackers on the other side of the world could use cellphone-based malware to remotely access any data they want, using the electromagnetic waves emanating from computer or server hardware, with no need for an Internet connection."

So all that is needed, is for an infected phone to come between 3 and 6 meters of your computer.. And if it has a microphone and speakers hooked up, and your computer it can be successfully attacked by the cell phone.

That is just ONE of the reasons my own computers don't have microphones on them.  If I need a microphone, I'll pull out my headset and use it.

So if you want some more security for your computers and don't mind using a headset that loads it's own drivers like the following ones.

Microsoft Life Chat

Plantronics 478

Logitech H390

And no, I don't get anything from Amazon for posting those links.  I am not an Affiliate.

So you would go into your device manager and uninstall or disable the existing micro phone driver, then when you want to use a microphone you would plug in the USB Headset headset.  It should load it's own driver, which normally takes about 30-45 seconds, at least on my computer it does, then you can use it.

Orrrrrrr you can pull the battery out of your phone or put it in a small anti-static bag or small Faraday Cage to block any and all signals.

H/t Claire Wolfe

No comments: