The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Ammo Test for Ammoman

Eric over at Ammoman contacted me about an e-mail I sent him several years ago about testing ammo for him.

He is getting ready for 2015 in a big way and is making some changes.

So be on the lookout for good deals to go up over there soon.

As part of that he sent me some ammo to test and I just got it in today. (Note this is Monday the 15th when I write this, but it is scheduled to post Sunday the 21st )


I asked Eric if they still had the wooden ammo crates that a lot of Eastern European ammo comes in., and if they did could they send the ammo in one of those as I find those crates very handy and sturdy for storage.



You can see how the ammo was packed in the crate


Ohh and what cool ammo did I get to test? This special pack of .45 ACP ammo, with 100 rounds of 230 gr FMJ for practice and 20 rounds of 230 grain Hydra-Shok JHP's for self defense carry.

http://www.ammoman.com/45-automatic-federal-american-eagle-230-grain-jhp-fmj-combo-pack-120




And 100 rounds of 2.5 inch 1 1/8th ounce Brenneke style slugs.

http://www.ammoman.com/12-gauge-sellier-and-bellot-slug-sb12hvs-10


I am going to have a lot of fun testing these and comparing them to some of my other ammo.



Not sure if you can see but those slugs are very similar to Brenneke slugs in appearance. I WILL be cutting one up so show exactly how it's put together.


I"m going to have to get or borrow a rifled barrel for my Maverick/Mossberg 12 ga, or borrow a rifled choke for it to test how these do at 100 yards against Remington and Federal Foster Slugs.


As you can see the .45 ACP Combo pack has 2 50 round boxes of FMJ's and 1 20 round box of JHP's for self defense.


Now one of the reasons I asked for the wood crate from Ammoman, is they are handy for storage.  My Coleman Butane Bistro Camp Stove fits almost perfectly after taking out the corrugated cardboard in the bottom of the crate.  It is a lot better than the thin plastic case it came with which my boys destroyed less than an hour after I bought the stove.  I will have no worries now of my stove getting damaged in the toolbox of my truck.

I think I'll ask Eric to always send my orders in these wooden crates, I might have to pay a little more for it, but it's worth it to me.  The crates already have a handle at each end and the lid has a small lock on it.  The only weak link I think is the thin metal "hinges" on the lid.  I'll hit the hardware store and grab 2 small cabinet hinges so I won't have an issue with the lid.

So hopefully after Christmas Vacation I'll have a good post up with the results of testing all this neat ammo.

And if anyone local to the Corpus Area has a Rifle Barrel or a Rifled Choke for a Mossberg/Maverick please hit my E-mail over there on the Right under where it says Send a Missive.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Interesting selections of ammo there. Looking forward to the range test.

Mark/GreyLocke said...

Already thinking since the slugs are "Tactical" ammo they might not have the oomph to get all the way out to 100+ yards. I hope to be able to test that over the Christmas Break.