The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

I love .22's and I hate .22's

I love shooting .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle Firearms.   However I HATE having to clean up .22 firearms that were owned by people who seem to think you can just shoot a .22 and never have to clean it.

Case in point, and no, I didn't take photos, I was too busy to, plus my bathroom has horrible light to try to take pictures with, I just bought a Glenfield Model 60 from the pawn shop in town.  Even after I SHOWED the clerk all the dirt and residue and everything else in the receiver that I would have to clean up, he still wanted to charge me $200.00 for what is basically a $125.00 rifle.  Now I've wanted to get my own Glenfield like my uncle let me shoot every time I was down at his farm in Arkansas.  And the pawn shop had one with similar if not the same style of checkering..

So I was pretty determined I was going to get the rifle, but dickering took some time.  I got him down to $138.00, total with tax $150.00.  Not too bad.  However it was a pain in the patoot to clean out thoroughly.  Brake Cleaner was again my stock cleaner of choice to loosen up all the crud in the receiver and to start breaking free all the lead fouling the bore.  By the time I was done, it had taken me over 2 and a half hours, almost a whole can of brake cleaner, half a roll of Viva paper towels, over 50 patches and I've buggered up a brand new phosphor bronze cleaning brush, but it's clean, it function checks properly, and it will be going to the range with me tomorrow as I go to pick up my Israeli Browning Hi Power that I ordered from AIM Surplus.  It will take me awhile to get the FEG P9M up to my specs, so I went ahead and got the Browning.

Anyway, let me briefly explain how most .22 semi-autos get in such bad shape so you can understand WHY I HATE .22's

Many people will buy a .22 semi-auto, like  any of the old Marlin, Glenfield, Remington, tube fed type rifles and they will shoot hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of rounds through them, and they will NEVER clean them.  When the gun stops shooting right, they will spray some WD-40, automatic transmission fluid, or lithium grease in the receiver, cycle the action a few times then go back to shooting them.  Never realizing that the reason the rifle isn't operating right is that all the carbon residue is building up inside the rifle and making it so friction is slowing down the bolt.  They just figured "LUBE IT" and shoot it.

Well you can only do that so many times before the residue builds up enough that is actually starts to wear down parts, which can make the rifle unsafe.

This new to me Glenfield, hasn't gotten to that point, however there are a few parts I will probably be replacing anyway.  Firing pin, recoil spring, and extractors.  It's better to be safe than sorry.

No comments: