The Replica Prop Forum

The Replica Prop Forum
Very cool site I am also a member of

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Coast Guard has something going on

Listening to my scanner I suddenly hear the Coast Guard putting out an alert for a ship that lost power and is adrift.

The Coast Guard is talking to someone who is flying an aircraft to examine a ship that has lost power and is drifting towards the Harbor Bridge.  I checked Marinetraffic.com and I can't see the ship they asked about listed. So I don't know if it is a "Ship" or a "Boat". Ships are required to have AIS Tracking enabled at all times, Boats unless they are for passenger service are not required to have it. This is basically like a transponder for boats and ships so the Coast Guard, Navy and others can track the vessels for safety.

I do see several tugs however out in Corpus Christi Bay, but they are always moving around helping to move ships through the channel out in to the Gulf.

I heard the N number of the aircraft the Coast Guard is talking to now. It is a Bellanca Viking. I won't put the N number out in the public, but they asked the aircraft to take photos of the ship/boat in question. However that N number does NOT show up in Flight Aware Live Flight Tracker. Which I find somewhat unusual as all aircraft of that type are supposed to have a transponder.

Here are screen shots of the marine traffic and the air traffic.

First the marine traffic click to embiggenate


And the air traffic click to embiggenate.

What I find really strange is the HALO Flight helicopter I also am hearing isn't showing up on the flight tracker.

Hmmm I just checked the TEXDOT aircraft, their flight plan was slightly changed so they could fly over the area before heading to their destination.

Something weird is going on here.

No comments: